How to Disable Comments on Instagram: Step-by-Step Instructions
With over 800 million users and counting according to Statista, Instagram is a great place to encourage engagement with your brand. In a very visual world, it allows you to get your message out there quickly and easily.
But there is a downside to social media and Instagram is no exception. While most users are perfectly lovely, there are a few rotten eggs in the bunch. People who troll social media pages looking for ways to cause misery and mayhem.
They can be extremely unpleasant and can downright damage your brand if not handled correctly. When it comes to dealing with trolls on Instagram, there are a few ways of doing things:
- You can fight back: Normally not the best strategy because you just end up giving the trolls more to work with. They enjoy this kind of interplay best because it means they are getting a reaction.
- You can ignore the comments: This is a better way to go than fighting back in most instances, but it does mean that the offensive comments are left in place. It also does not stop the troll from commenting further.
- You can turn off comments for the post: This seems drastic, but if you have a troll that won’t leave you alone, it might be the best way to shut them up. This way, no one will be allowed to comment on the post again. Unfortunately, it also means that no one will be able to see the previous comments on that post either.
- You can delete the offensive comment: This is not as drastic as shutting off the comments completely, but it does have the advantage of leaving the nice comments in place and allowing further discussion. Unfortunately, that might not be enough to get the troll to leave you alone.
In this post, we will focus more on how to disable comments on Instagram.
Should I Turn Off Comments?
Turning off comments is, as mentioned above, a rather drastic step. You are preventing further engagement with the post and also hiding all the positive comments as well. It is something that should really only be turned to as a last resort.
Try first to delete the comment. You do this simply by selecting the said comment and swiping left. The trash bin icon will come up, and you will have the opportunity to delete the comment or delete it and report the person commenting.
What it will do is to remove the comment. What it won’t do is to stop the troll making new comments. Even if you do report them for being abusive, the user account will not be removed until an investigation has been conducted by Instagram.
The troll could easily start up a new account. Also, trolls sometimes “hunt” together. If your post is being spammed by a troll leaving nasty comments, turning off comments may be a good way to prevent further harm and to stop them being a nuisance.
It is not ideal, but you could always turn the comments on again at a later stage if you liked. You could build up comments on a new post or even buy comments on Instagram to speed things up.
How to Turn Off Instagram Comments
You have two options here:
- Turning off comments when you create a new post.
- Turning off comments on an existing post.
Turning Off Comments When You Create a New Post
The comments for each post must be handled individually. There are no universal settings when it comes to turning off comments on your account.
Sometimes a troll will dog every step you take on the site. You delete their comments, and they post new ones. You post something new, and they go after you on that as well. This is where it might be useful to disable comments on a new post.
To do so, you will need to:
- Access the Instagram app.
- Click on “Share” as you normally would and either take a new photo or choose one from your library to share.
- Make whatever adjustments you would like to make – as you normally would. Apply your filters, crop the pic, etc.
- Then hit the “Next” button.
- Look at the bottom of the page and find the “Advanced Settings” button. Click on it.
- From there you can choose to turn off comments for that post.
- Then all you need to do is to hit the “Back” button and share as you normally would.
- To make sure that you have this right, check the post – if the post button is not there, you have successfully followed the steps.
Turning Off Comments on an Existing Post
Sometimes you don’t want to turn off comments from the very beginning. If you want to, you can elect to turn them off at any time during the life of the post.
If your post has already been shared you will need to:
- Start up the Instagram app as usual.
- Find either the profile button or the home button at the bottom of your screen. This will allow you to select the post that you want to disable comments for. Click on the post.
- At the top right-hand side, you will see an ellipsis. Click on this and then select “Turn Off Commenting” from the drop-down menu that comes up.
- Check the post – there should no longer be a comment button at all.
Turning Comments Back On
Let’s be honest here; comments are one of the best things about Instagram. They allow people to engage with your post. And, post engagement is important when it comes to how many people see your post.
So, if you have decided that you are ready to turn comments back on, all you have to do is to:
- Start up the app as usual.
- Find the Profile or Home button at the bottom of your screen again and select the relevant post.
- Look at the top right-hand side of your post to find the ellipsis and click on it.
- From the drop-down menu, select “Turn On Commenting.”
- You will now see that the comment button appears below the post again.
And that, in a nutshell, is how to disable commenting and re-enable it again. It is a pretty simple process that might, at times, be necessary.